Sunday, November 3, 2013

Just because...

"Why are you guys giving away free jewelry?"
Just because..  

I've been away for a long time, I haven't had much to write about, I've been dealing with the fibromyalgia and my crazy emotions under stress. The cold weather has activated more joint pain than I was expecting. Despite my struggles I'm still focusing on living the kind life.

Over the past few weeks I've been spending my free time making bracelets for my friend's gifting. (gifting is exactly what it sounds like, he gives away free stuff, with no strings attached, just because! Who doesn't love free?) I used to make jewelry all the time, but lost interest because I wanted everything to be perfect, and most of the time it never came out perfect, despite the imperfections I still had joy in the craft.When my friend mentioned his latest gifting endeavor, I knew I wanted to help. Naturally the first bracelet I made didn't come out perfect, but it was still cool, and I kind of liked it. The next bracelet wasn't perfect either, nor the next. They weren't perfect but they were still cool. I kept making bracelets.  As I made them my mind was occupied, I forgot about all the stress. I also realized that not perfect is my thing. (just like crying;)) I'm not perfect, nothing I do is perfect. My imperfections are my greatest strengths. I'm cool, I'm funky, I'm free and I'm me. I'm awkward and funny, creative and sensitive. I can be a little too hard on myself but I really love who I am. So I knew the bracelets were not perfect but they were me and I knew I would be contributing to something that helps spread joy and kindness.

Today we went to Carytown and gave out the free jewelry. With every one's combined contributions there were about eighty pieces.

My favorite thing about today was watching people process the thought of free jewelry with no catch. Many were wary, and ignored our attempts. Others were overjoyed. So many people walked away happy, with smiles on their faces.

I like to believe that kindness can save lives. From all the smiles I saw today I know it can. We made so many people's day! strangers could be going through the worst thing ever, but our bracelet made their day! Were all in this together, lets gift the gift of joy and remember it's not always a bad idea to take candy from strangers! :)

Thanks to my dear friend who always keeps kindness in his heart and is an inspiration to others. Check out his gifting project. Candy from Strangers

No comments:

Post a Comment